Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I miss Valentines....... the way it used to be.

This is my friend Miae. She has her own floral shop in Utah. When I go to Utah and need to make flowers she always lets me use her shop. She is the best! I wish I was there to help her out for the holiday.

Valentines changes it meaning when you are a florist. Anyone who has worked for a florist during this time would know what I am taking about. 100 hr weeks, cleaning thousand of roses, dealing with stressed out husbands and boyfriends trying to be creative and get the perfect Valentine, Craziness. But after the first year of shock you start to like it and get excited for the day to come. I do miss this craziness. This year I wanted to do some rose orders for some people. But I couldn't compete with grocery stores prices and didn't feel it would be worth it. Fry's had roses for $17.99. I think it is sad for florist that they have to compete with the them. The grocery store always had roses but they used to be such poor quality that it wouldn't cause to much of a problem. But now the quality is just as good, it would be hard to compete!

Enough of my rambling, Jarred and I don't really celebrate Vday. Because we just got used to working and it was to much of a hassle. Jarred would rather get me roses as a surprise then on Vday. I hope that all the florist had a great Vday and to the rest of you enjoy your flowers!

3 comments:

grandma north said...

I to miss working with flowers on vday. you were agreat boss. your day says he misses delering. love ya mom

Liz Prisbrey said...

How can you miss all those hours?? Sounds awful! But I guess if your doing what you love! :-)

Cindy said...

Israel gave me three pink tullips in a cute little planter. I thought it was way better than getting roses, because they last longer. The tullips have bulbs though in the roots, should I replant them, or are they just going to die??